28 – 46 Cromwell Road • Kingston upon Thames • KT2 6RE
The proposals include this statement of the Key elements of the design:
- Knitting together the streetscape with a unified design
- Scaling the building in relation to its neighbours (including reducing the site’s existing massing on Hardman Road)
- Minimising any privacy/overlooking issues
- Responding, in particular, to the built form along Cromwell Road and Hardman Road
- Creating active street frontages
- Logically scaling up to the important focus opposite Birkenhead Avenue and back down to the lower scale Hardman Road properties.
- Balancing of vertical and horizontal forms
- Interesting window forms and patterns
- Positive relationship with the street and public realm
- Relating to the mix of period buildings in the immediate area in terms of materiality and detail by a careful use of relevant materials – principally brick
- Creating high quality residential units with required private and shared amenity spaces
- Incorporating an improved nursery
- Incorporating winter gardens along Cromwell Road to create protected amenity space.
- The winter gardens will have openable elements to provide flexibility for the occupiers.
- Improving the activity to the rear of the proposal with landscaped areas giving the Hardman Road properties a more positive outlook than currently.
- Introduction of a new community use space into the proposal
- Creating efficient servicing and access to the whole development – bettering the existing refuse collection on Hardman Road
- The site has the benefit of a very high PTAL (6a) reinforcing its appropriateness for increasing the density.